LIM KER SHEON
LLB (Hons), Singapore
Lim Ker Sheon joined Messrs Characterist LLC as a Director on 1 April 2008 having previously practiced with the firms of Messrs Derrick Ravi Partnership (now Straits Law Practice LLC) and Asia Law Corporation. Ker Sheon also branched outside the legal profession into the areas of IT and Business Development Consulting in Singapore and China for a period of about 2 years.
Ker Sheon has acted as legal counsel on corporate and litigation matters for Statutory Boards, Quasi-Government Institutions, hospitals, and for both MNCs and SMEs in the construction, IT, education, logistics and retail industries.
Ker Sheon also serves as Secretary and Legal Counsel on the Management Board of the Andrew and Grace Home (a Home for teenage girls in crisis), and also teaches law on a part-time basis with the PSB Academy (undergraduate engineering courses). Ker Sheon is also a member of the Small Law Firms Committee of the Singapore Law Society.
Ker Sheon is a frequent speaker on the seminar circuit, primarily in the areas of Commercial law and Mergers & Acquisitions.
Ker SheonĄ¯s primary areas of practice are in corporate law and IT-corporate law. He advises corporate clients on Mergers and Acquisitions, local and international Franchising, legal and operational aspects of product development (including Intellectual Property rights, efficacy and costs), drafting o f c ommercial contracts, drafting of tenancy agreements and renewals, drafting and/or reviewing standard form Purchase Orders, Invoices, Terms and Conditions of Sale.
Ker Sheon is also involved in criminal law, civil litigation with an emphasis on construction litigation, commercial arbitration, mediation, dispute resolution and debt negotiation and management. Ker Sheon has been involved with cases as diverse as the defence and acquittal o f c lients involved in wildlife smuggling, cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions and local and overseas franchises.
Key transactions handled by Ker Sheon in the areas of Corporate / Corporate advisory :-
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Acting for key management-shareholders in foreign acquisition of leading Logistics Company;
- Acting for Founder-shareholders in purchase by renowned French Listed company of regional distributorship and manufacturers in optical line
- Acting for Purchasers in reverse take-over of Indonesian listed company
- Advising Purchasers of reverse takeover of local group o f c ompanies (stable o f c ompanies including listed companies) (abortive)
- Acting for Founder-shareholders in purchase by leading Norwegian Boat Manufacturers of leading local distributorship
- Acting in various other local and cross-border M&A transactions
- Regular speaker in international seminars on the area of Mergers & Acquisitions, including in 2008 :-
- Closing Speaker for the Mergers & Acquisitions Conference 2008 held by Asia Business Forum at the Sheraton Towers
- The 2008 Asian M&A Corporate Summit held by Tonkin Corporation at the Copthorne Kings Hotel
- Corporate Advisory / Corporate Finance
- Core business in the advice, drafting, negotiation and execution of Joint Ventures, particularly in the following industries :-
- Information technology (particularly ventures in India and Singapore), core clients being involved in the fields of (i) CRM & Loyalty Rewards programmes; (ii) Banking Security; (iii) Training and education; (iv) Graphics and Architectural Design; (v) recruitment; (vi) call centres etc.
- Regional OEM manufacturing
- Local Education Centres in the areas of (i) childcare; (ii) childrenĄ¯s recreational; (iii) tuition centres
- Local and cross-border (primarily PRC Chinese) joint ventures by local and China-owned Construction Companies
- Various other industries
- Outsourced Legal Department
- Acting as outsourced legal department (corporate and litigation) of various companies, including :-
- 1 Statutory Board
- Subsidiaries of Government-Linked Companies (GLCs)
- Various Companies in the areas o f c onstruction, education, human resource management and various other industries
- Distributorship / Franchise Planning
- Advice, drafting and execution of local and international Franchise and distributorship (including Multi-Level Marketing and Direct Marketing) models for clients in many sectors, including :-
- Beauty and healthcare
- Education ¨C local
- Education ¨C foreign
- Equipment Calibration
- Energy Drinks
- Household equipment
- Various others
- Securities and Futures / Banking and Project Finance
- Assisting and advice in the securing of international loans in excess of USD100 million;
- Assisting and advice in the formation of a Private Placement Fund in excess of S$50 million
- Pre-IPO / Pre-investment Consulting
- Assessment, advice, structuring, corporate and contractual review and general consulting at pre-IPO / Pre-investment stage of various companies, primarily in the IT and Telecommunications industries.
- Corporate Succession Planning
- Core business in corporate succession planning and key-man / management loss minimisation.
- Have advised, and executed succession plans for various local SMEs
- Commercial Tenancy
- Advice, structuring and execution of tenancy structure and agreements of various entertainment hubs and retail shopping centres in Singapore .
- Corporate Secretarial and Registered Office
- Acted in various capacities as the Company Secretary, Nominee Director and/or Registered Office of various companies.